Friday, March 10, 2006

Eat Yoga

As we go about our busy lives, trying to fit in more than we can handle, often times our diet suffers. Food on the run is often our nutritional intake during the workweek. Couple striving for a healthy diet with trying to fit in the 8 glasses of water we should drink and we have a full day right there.
On top of our food on the run, we may add an extra yoga class here and there to our schedule. We may be rushing off to a class before our workday begins, getting up before the crack of dawn. Perhaps we squeeze a class in on our lunch break, or before or slightly after the noon hour rush. We can even try to make an evening class, whether it is just after our workday ends or even closer to bedtime.
With lack of time to prepare healthy food choices, rushing here and there, taking part in regular workouts and yoga classes – GEE – you may be like me and sometimes feel so hungry that you would eat almost anything.
Amidst all of our tasks, work commitments, housework, family, friends, pets and countless other activities, I wonder, how can we manage to eat healthy too. Lots of times, pretty much daily, I find this very challenging and often have more failures than successes.
One interesting thing I have noticed recently is that my dog Rory is better taken care of by me than I am. She never misses getting her medication or regular walks. Her meals are always well planned and size-controlled. Her snacks are healthy and she never over does it. She occasionally enjoys the odd timbit or chicken bone off the street, but these instances are rare and few and far between.
I ask myself why do I make sure Rory always gets her daily medication on time and I can’t even manage to give myself a daily multi vitamin, except sporadically, now and then. If I can take such good care of Rory’s meals and health, shouldn’t this also translate over to my own?
I think we all have priorities that we make time for during the day. Many of the little things may even get done (or not) unnoticed. Some of us may not leave the house or condo without having had a cup of coffee or breakfast; for others it may be putting on mascara, for some of us it is walking and looking after the dog or maybe our ritual yoga routine. And for others, I know you are out there, it is swiffering.
Although it would be nice to do it all, we cannot realistically accomplish everything. We must prioritize and make choices that depend on how much we have to do and how much time we have.
Many times, I have heard it said that it is easier to snack on unhealthy choices than healthy alternatives, with all the fast food and convenience stores on every corner. It is sometimes easier to pick up that Starbuck’s scone than a healthy breakfast. This is not necessarily true.
With busy schedules and yoga classes, it is important to plan and time our meals. One way we can make choosing healthier, more likely, is to scope out new and healthy directions. Instead of having that latte after your next Saturday yoga class, opt for a fresh juice instead. You will probably feel even better than usual, after your class, if you make this choice, as I have noticed I have.
Another thing to try is planning an early dinner if you have a 7:30 pm yoga class. Perhaps you could have a healthy dinner around 4pm. You will have more energy to make it through your class and you won’t be starving afterward.
If you need to eat after a late class, I have found scrambled eggs with cheese and fruit works well for me. It is a light meal and the protein will help you remain satisfied through the night. You shouldn’t wake up hungry in the middle of the night.
If you find that you didn’t have a chance to eat and it is soon time for your yoga class and you need to eat something, healthy choices in the case would be a few almonds or perhaps an apple or another piece of fruit an hour before class start time.
I find it works well if I have a lot of healthy traveling snacks readily available. Apples and oranges in my fruit bowl, raisins or dried prunes and apricots, nuts like almonds or walnuts (not peanuts), cottage cheese comes in snack sizes now. And a good-sized travel water bottle is a must have.
There are many diets and books on the subject, like Atkins, the South Beach Diet, and Eating for Your Blood Type. I, myself, am a firm believer in Canada’s Food Guide. The Food Guide can be found at Health Canada’s website:
http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/
As a yogi, I am also interested in the topic of detox. Detoxifying the body can be accomplished with physical and breathing exercises and through diet as well.
Cleanses and fasting can be dangerous or beneficial, depending on many factors and are best performed under the supervision of a qualified practitioner and for shorter periods of time. One book I find interesting is The Raw Food Detox Diet by Natalia Rose. Her book is great because it has many different levels, from someone just beginning to think about detox, to someone who is a committed raw foodist. It has lots of recipes as well as a grocery list. I have had the book for about 6 months and I am only now beginning to transition myself over to some of her healthy alternatives. For instance, she says that peanuts and soy nuts should be avoided at all costs as they are difficult to digest and mucous-forming.
Here is a healthy snack recipe from Natalia Rose. I have made these myself and they are a quick and delicious snack.
Pita Chips (makes about 4 servings or 40 chips)
2 whole wheat or sprouted grain pitas
2 teaspoons organic butter
Sea salt (I use course salt) and your favorite spices
Slice the pita in half so you can have 2 rounds
Spread butter over pita sprinkle with seasoning and cut about 10 mini triangles
Bake at 350 until crisp about 7-10 minutes

Eat, drink and be merry. Namaste!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Counter